Microsoft today announced that Azure SQL Database built-in In-Memory technologies are now generally available for the Premium database tier including Premium pools. The latest In-memory technology will help customers in optimizing the performance of transactional (OLTP), analytics (OLAP), as well as mixed workloads (HTAP). Microsoft highlighted that it will allow them to achieve great performance with Azure SQL Database – 75,000 transactions per second for order processing (11X perf gain) and reduced query execution time from 15 seconds to 0.26 (57X perf).
Performance and Cost Saving details:
- Order processing benchmark (scale factor 100, with 400 clients) on P15 (the highest tier at the time of writing): 75,000 transactions per second (TPS) with In-Memory OLTP, compared with 6,800 TPS with traditional tables and stored procedures, which translates to 11X performance gain with In-Memory OLTP.
- Also lower performance tiers show impressive results. For a P2 with the same workload (scale factor 5, with 200 clients): 8,900 TPS with In-Memory OLTP, compared with 1,000.
- 30-40% performance gain just by replacing traditional table-valued parameters (TVPs) with memory-optimized TVPs: High Speed IoT Data Ingestion Using In-Memory OLTP in Azure
- Using a P15 database (the highest performance tier at the time of writing), the query runs in 0.26 seconds with Columnstore, while it runs in 15 seconds when using traditional indexes with page compression. This translates to a performance gain of 58X!
- Even with lower pricing tiers you see significant performance benefits: using a P1 database, the query runs in 4.8 seconds with Columnstore, while it runs in 27 seconds using traditional indexes with page compression. A performance gain of 5.6X without increasing the pricing tier!
Read more about it here.