Alex Kipman from HoloLens team discussed about developing for HoloLens in detail at Build. Watch the full video above. Here are the highlights of from the video below,
- Developers who wants to develop for Windows Holographic will find it easier if they are familiar with Mobile 3D development.
- All the APIs available on Windows 10 will also be available for HoloLens.
- Skype has a specific app for HoloLens while other Office apps will appear in a 2D window.
- HoloLens has a more powerful version of Kinect like sensor in it.
- These sensors allows developers for Spatial mapping and environment understanding.
- Developers won’t have access to all the sensors, but they will have access to specific APIs to make the experience consistent going forwards.
- Microsoft has created a custom 2K/4K camera setup which has HoloLens attached to it. This setup is used in stage demos to demonstrate Holographic platform. We saw this at Build keynote and Windows event in January.
- Cortana is part of HoloLens as well. Same speech engine is available for developers.
- HoloLens has a mixed reality capture mode. This is enabled by a regular photo camera sensor and it allows anyone to record a video or take a photo of what they see on their HoloLens. And they can share it to others.