256 MB Windows Phones will be able to run 95% of current Marketplace apps

Nokia Lumia 610_groupZTE Orbit 1_cropped

Nokia Lumia 610                                                                   ZTE Orbit

Microsoft has released some more information about their new low-cost platform.

The update will support new Qualcomm 7x27a “system on a chip” chipsets and only 256 MB memory by using a new paging system which will allow apps to address more memory that physically present on the device.

Microsoft says in their tests 95% of Marketplace apps will run on these handsets, and Microsoft is working with the remaining 5% to make their apps compatible.

In the mean time however these incompatible apps will be flagged in Marketplace so users do not download them unwittingly.

The first two devices running the update will be the Nokia Lumia 610 and the ZTE Orbit. Both handsets will be available in Q2 2012.

Read more at the Windows Team Blog here.

Some links in the article may not be viewable as you are using an AdBlocker. Please add us to your whitelist to enable the website to function properly.

Comments